Linking Your Persona To Your Origin / EA Account (version 2)

This is the second version of this information that I have put together.

I have seen many posts in many forums where people have asked for help on linking their persona to their Origin/EA account. So, I thought I would post some instructions on how you can do this.

There is an Origin/EA help article on this matter. It is brief, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway. A link to it is below.

http://help.ea.com/article/linking-y...ic-screen-name

The information in the article is correct. I will cover the information in that article in more detail, and other options as well. I will also warn you of some of the dangers inherent in switching a persona from one Origin/EA account to another Origin/EA account.

Precursor Information
First, Origin and EA are the same company now. So, your Origin account is exactly the same thing as your EA account. They are one and the same.

Sony has converted all PlayStation Network (PSN) accounts to Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) accounts. This was a recent change. I will continue to refer to these accounts as PSN accounts. However, over time, Sony will probably phase out the use of “PSN account” in favor of “SEN account”. Incidentally, SEN accounts can be accessed on the http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ website.

A console is one of the main systems you use to play video games with. It is NOT a personal computer (PC). It is NOT one of the handheld portable gaming systems. Current generation consoles include the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3), the MicroSoft Xbox 360, and the Nintendo Wii.

A persona is an online ID that you use for playing games. On the PSN, this is simply known as your PSN online ID. On the Xbox LIVE network, this is often referred to as your gamertag. With the Wii, this is your Wii identity. If you play an Origin/EA game using a PC, then your persona is the online ID you use for that. For example, my persona is meticulousdragon.

These instructions assume that you already know the email address and password for your Origin/EA account. If you need information on figuring out the email address for your Origin/EA account, then refer to the post entitled “How To Find / Figure Out / Determine The Email Address For Your Origin / EA Account (version 2)”. This post was made on Monday, February 20, 2012, in the following thread. This post also includes information on resetting your password.
http://forum.p-stats.com/threads/144...unt-(version-2)

Your Origin/EA account is entirely separate from your console account. Understanding this fundamental point will help you greatly.

Since these accounts are separate, they CAN have different email addresses and different passwords (and still work perfectly fine). A myth has arisen that these email addresses and passwords must be the same. That is completely wrong. I know from personal experience that these can be different (and everything will still work perfectly fine).

If you want to know more information on the Origin/EA account system, then look for the post entitled “Overview Of The Origin / EA Account System (version 2)”. This post was made on Friday, February 17, 2012, in the following thread. Here in this post, I assume you are already familiar with that basic information and its terminology.
http://forum.p-stats.com/threads/143...tem-(version-2)

Also, before making any changes, you may wish to review how your Origin/EA account is already setup. You may login to the https://www.ea.com/profile/ website to review it. Once logged in, this website will show you all the personas currently linked to your Origin/EA account. I’d recommend doing this before making any changes.

READ THIS: What NOT To Do!!!
Sometimes the real reason someone wants to transfer personas is because they want to use a different Origin/EA account with a newer (or different) email address.

For example, you have an older Origin/EA account with an older email address attached to it. All of your personas are already linked to it.

However, you also have a newer Origin/EA account with a new email address. This is the email address that you really want to use. So, you want to transfer all of your personas over to this newer Origin/EA account.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Instead, you should update the email address on the old Origin/EA account. You can switch it to the new email address, EVEN IF the new email address is (currently) attached to another Origin/EA account.

For information on changing your email address, refer to the post entitled “Updating Information In Your Origin / EA Account (version 2)”. This post was made on Monday, February 20, 2012, in the following thread. In particular, look for the “Changing Your Email Address” section.
http://forum.p-stats.com/threads/145...unt-(version-2)

Updating your email address in this fashion avoids having to transfer your personas from one Origin/EA account to another Origin/EA account. IT IS TREMENDOUSLY PREFERABLE TO UPDATE AN EMAIL ADDRESS INSTEAD OF TRANSFERING PERSONAS. When a persona is switched from one Origin/EA account to another Origin/EA account, there are often problems. Statistics are often reset (think of your score, rank, and unlocks, for example), downloadable content (DLC) is sometimes lost, and sometimes online passes stop working. If you're online pass stops working, it can be VERY problematic. If an online pass has already been downloaded to a PSN online ID, then the PSN will (currently) not allow you to download another online pass (for that same game) to that account. So, you are stuck with an old online pass that will not work. My son had such a problem with an online pass and it took four months to fix.

If you want to know more in-depth information about these potential problems, then look for the post entitled “Overview Of The Origin / EA Account System (version 2)”. This post was made on Friday, February 17, 2012, in the following thread. In particular, look at that the “Potential Problems” section.
http://forum.p-stats.com/threads/143...tem-(version-2)

If you already have personas attached to two or more Origin/EA accounts, then you are stuck. To have everything under one Origin/EA account, some transferring of personas will have to occur. I’d figure out which personas you would most mind getting messed up. Keep the Origin/EA account that has those. Update the email address on that Origin/EA account. Transfer all other personas to that Origin/EA account.

I have heard of personas being transferred without problems. I’ve also heard of, and experienced, horror stories related to personas being transferred. You might just decide to keep separate Origin/EA accounts. This may mean that you don’t get all of the unlocks, veteran level, or dog tags that you want.

In the end, you have to decide what risks you are willing to take.

If You Have Never Played An Origin/EA Game Online
This is the simplest case. It probably won’t apply to too many people who are reading this post. However, for purposes of completeness, I wanted to cover it. Also, even players who have already played an Origin/EA game online can learn from this.

To link your persona to your Origin/EA account, simply play an Origin/EA game online. The first time you play a particular Origin/EA game online, it should prompt you for your Origin/EA account information. Simply put in the email address for your Origin/EA account and your Origin/EA account password. That will link the persona you are playing with to your Origin/EA account. If you don’t have an Origin/EA account at all, it will create one using the email address and password that you enter.

Remember that your Origin/EA account is entirely separate from your console account. Hence, they can have different email addresses and different passwords (and both will still work perfectly fine).

In fact, even if you already have personas linked to your Origin/EA account, this is what happens. You are often still prompted for your Origin/EA account email address (and password) the first time you play a particular Origin/EA game online. If you put in the wrong information, then the persona you are playing with will get switched to a different Origin/EA account. As mentioned before, this can cause many problems. I suspect that many of the problems that players experience with Origin/EA games are caused by this very scenario.

Linking An EA Classic Screen Name
Many older EA games were only available for the personal computer (PC). In order to play them, you had to establish an online identification (ID). These older EA online IDs are known as EA classic screen names. Sometimes people need to link these to an updated Origin/EA account. Instructions for doing so are below.

1. Login to the https://profile.ea.com/ website.
2. Click on the “Add Persona” button.
3. Click the circle for “existing EA Classic Screen Name”.
4. Enter your “Account Name” and “Password:”.
5. Click on “Add Persona” and follow any subsequent directions.

I cannot say that I have done this myself. I never had any of these older screen names. With that said, I have seen posts were players said that this worked for them. I have also seen posts were players said they got an error message. It is worth trying (and you can always resort to the last option at the end of this post).

Play An Origin/EA Game Online For The First Time
Another option would be play an Origin/EA game online for the first time (the first time for that particular Origin/EA game) using the persona you want switched. The game should (at least most Origin/EA games would) prompt you for your Origin/EA account information. Simply put in the email address and password for the Origin/EA account that you want the persona linked to. That should take care of it.

You may have to search around for an Origin/EA game that prompts you for your account information. You can also download demos of Origin/EA games for this purpose. Note that you can delete such demos after you are done using them for this purpose.

I tried this myself, but with no success. I systematically tried Origin/EA game demos in alphabetical order. I got through about half the alphabet before using another option. With that said, I have seen other people post that this did work for them.

Contacting Origin/EA
You may directly contact Origin/EA about having your persona linked to your Origin/EA account. If you need information on contacting Origin/EA, then look for the post entitled “How To Contact Origin / EA (version 3)”. This post was made on Friday, February 17, 2012, in the following thread.
http://forum.p-stats.com/threads/142...-EA-(version-3)

Before they will change anything in your Origin/EA account, you may have to provide your birth date and/or other identifying information. You will probably have to do this for all of the Origin/EA accounts involved in the transfer.

For these matters, I’d recommend calling Origin/EA. When I was trying to clean up my son’s account, I originally contacted Origin/EA through their email option (via the online web form). I spent about two months going back and forth with them. Then I called Origin/EA. In about 30 minutes, everything was taken care of.

When you have a real person transferring a persona, they can then try to make sure that the online passes (and other such content) are properly setup on the account that the persona is newly attached to. This may help you to avoid unpleasant problems later. This is another reason why I recommend that persona transfers be done by calling Origin/EA.

Confirming The Transfer

After you are done transferring a persona, I would strongly recommend that you confirm it. You can do so by logging into the https://www.ea.com/profile/ website. Once logged into this website, it will show you all of the personas that are linked to your Origin/EA account.

I hope this information helps!

EA.040B.doc